Friday, April 24, 2009

Lessons learned...






I got to ask a volunteer who left this morning, who is about 70, what she wished she knew now what she didn't know when she was 26. Her response "That I'm not in control". But then she told me that it is a lesson not easily understood until I get older.






We had a great neighbor night last night. We had a dozen homeowners and their families here to eat with us. We heard one story of a woman and her special ed son and her daughter, I think, having to be on their roof for 3 days after Katrina hit. And then being ripped off by fake contractors, even taking her 8,000 dollars. It was heart wrenching. There were also a lot of kids here last night and they were fun to get to know. One high school girl wants to be a poet so she asked me if I would do some editing. I'm excited to be a part of these people's lives. We also had a lot of home owners who's homes have been finished within the last year.






I have a place to stay in Southern Cali, and that will be fun. I'll have to get down there just to see people, and make connections across the country.






Now we have some of the North Carolina boys helping me out here around the village. Yesterday David, who used to work with Nascar's pit crew changed a tire for me. Oh I have pictures that are loading now in the computer, and I'm adding them here.






It is getting warm out here. I've learned that the week of my birthday is the most beautiful weather where ever I am. It has been minimal humidity. And yes I've been wearing sunscreen. And yes, I have my tan before my birthday! Tonight I'm going out with the group from New Jersey to celebrate my birthday. Everyone sang to me yesterday and had cake with candles. It was awesome. One of the AmeriCorps girls shares a birthday with me too...And tomorrow I'm going out with Laura who cooks once a week here for dinner and a hurricane at Pat O'Brians.





One more injury to add to the list this week. I biffed it hard and scrapped up my hands. I think the last time I fell like that I was in North Dakota. But I did a perfect volleyball slide, and didn't really hurt myself too badly. Here is a picture of the quilt too. Then I'm signing off to work myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment